The aspiration of the Media Review Network is to dispel the myths and stereotypes about Islam and Muslims and to foster bridges of understanding among the diverse people of our country.
The Media Review Network believes that Muslim perspectives on issues impacting on South Africans are a prerequisite to a better appreciation of Islam.
There are more than one million Muslims living in South Africa. In the past, and on a
continuous basis, the mainstream media represent who we are and what we represent
for the general South African public.
Our views and opinions, our policy positions and strategic interests have always either been ignored or deliberately distorted.
As Muslims, we need to have our opinions and insights heard on a daily basis as a matter of routine, rather than as an exception.
The Media Review Network, given its experience, the commitment of its members and as a result of gracious donors and support from the public, is well placed to spearhead the task of meeting challenges posed by a sophisticated mass communication system.
The interaction with organs of the media can no longer remain a marginal activity by a handful of individuals.
Aims and Objectives
- To monitor, analyze and evaluate distortions, fabrications and double standards in the mass media;
- To research the impact caused by such misrepresentations and publish these findings regularly;
- To arouse curiosity, inquiry, research and interest in Islam;
- To counter the onslaught on Islam, it’s norms and values;
- To identify and nullify certain stereotypes eg: “terrorists”, “fundamentalists”, “radicals”, “fanatics”, etc.
- To express alternate perspectives and policy positions on local and international issues;
- To be proactive in projecting and promoting Islam;
- To establish rapport with journalists, editors and key opinion formers;
- To source appropriately qualified and articulate spokes-persons to represent Muslims on radio and TV; and to widen the network of informed Muslims to address the print media;
- To hold seminars and workshops on information gathering and dissemination;
- To promote the training of committed Muslims in the specialized fields of communications and journalism;
- To establish an effective network of co-operation with Muslims engaged in the publication of Islamic magazines, periodicals, and newspapers and with those engaged in community Islamic radio stations.
- PRESS RELEASE : Protectthe Rohingya. - June 8, 2020
- EID-UL-FITR MESSAGE-1441 (A.H) (2020) - May 23, 2020
- How Israel Legitimizes the Abuse of Palestinian Political Prisoners - April 30, 2020