Summary of the Findings of the Russell Tribunal on Palestine
Monday, 7 November 2011
The Media Review Network (MRN) welcomes the findings of the Russell Tribunal on Palestine. At the end of the three day hearings on the treatment meted out to the Palestinians, during which prominent scholars, politicians and academics provided the evidence, the Tribunal went into recess to consider their verdict.
In its findings, the Tribunal concluded that Israel subjects the “Palestinians to institutionalized regime of domination amounting to apartheid as defined under international law”. Amongst its findings the Tribunal also established that civil and political rights of Palestinians, “including rights to free of movement, residence, freedom of opinion and association” are seriously curtailed.
The MRN supports the Tribunal in its call for amongst others:
1. All states to cooperate to bring to an end the illegal situation arising from Israel’s practices of apartheid and persecution
2. That the Global Civil Society replicate the spirit of solidarity that contributed to the end of apartheid in South Africa.
3. To the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) to accept jurisdiction and to initiate an investigation as called for by the “Goldstone Report” into international crimes committed in Palestine including crimes of Apartheid and persecution.
Dr. Firoz Osman
Media Review Network
Cell: 082 337 6976
- PRESS RELEASE : Protectthe Rohingya. - June 8, 2020
- EID-UL-FITR MESSAGE-1441 (A.H) (2020) - May 23, 2020
- How Israel Legitimizes the Abuse of Palestinian Political Prisoners - April 30, 2020