PRESS CONFERENCE INVITE: Launch of Israeli Apartheid Week in S.Africa with Simphiwe Dana, former South African ambassador to Israel, representatives of national organizations and others [Sunday, 9 March 2014]
Members of the media are invited to a press conference this Sunday (09 March 2014) which will launch the 10th international Israeli Apartheid Week.
Press Conference To Launch Israeli Apartheid Week 2014 in South Africa
DATE: 09 March 2014
VENUE: Workers Museum, 52 Jeppe Street, Newtown (Opposite Sci-Bono Museum)
– Musician, Simphiwe Dana
– Palestinian Ambassador to South Africa, H.E. Hafiz Nofal
– Former South African Ambassador to Israel, Ismail Coovadia
– Israeli Author of “The General’s Son”, Miko Peled
– Mayor of Johannesburg and Chairperson of ANC JHB Region, Parks Tau (TBC)
– Deputy General Secretary of the South African Communist Party, Solly Mapaila
– 2nd Deputy President of COSATU, Zingiswa Losi
– Deputy President of South African Union of Students, Tebogo Thotela
– President of South African Council of Churches Youth Forum, Vuyani Pule
– Coordinator of Swaziland Solidarity Network, Lucky Lukhele
– General Secretary of Friends of Cuba Society (FOCUS)
– Spokesperson for Stop The JNF (a group of progressive Jews in solidarity with the Palestinians), Alan Horwitz
– Director of the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation, Neeshan Bolton
– Kairos Southern Africa, Stiaan van der Merwe
– International Relations Secretary of ANC Youth League, Rebone Tau
At the Sunday press conference the full schedule of events for the upcoming week will be released to the media including details of which Government Ministers, artists, church leaders and others will be speaking during and for Israeli Apartheid Week as well as what sporting and cultural events will be hosted.
Media are invited to conduct interviews with members of the Israeli Apartheid Week campaign. Interviews, debates, radio shows and TV discussions can be arranged in all South African languages and in all South African cities and towns.
This year the 10th international Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) campaign will be held in over over 250 cities across the world, including in more than 25 South African cities, towns and universities. Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) will be held in South Africa between the 10th and 16th of March and organisers indicate that it will be the biggest IAW since it was first launched in 2004. To date over 75 South African organisations across the country including South Africa’s ruling-party the African National Congress, South Africa’s largest trade union confederation, COSATU; the South African Council of Churches; and several other civil society organisations have endorsed the IAW campaign.
IAW is an annual international series of events (including rallies, lectures, cultural performances, music shows, films and workshops) that seek to raise awareness of Israel’s apartheid policies against the indigenous Palestinians and garner support for the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) against Israel campaign which is aimed to bring an end to Israel’s apartheid policies and violations of international law.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, COMMENT OR TO ARRANGE AN INTERVIEW:
IAW South Africa National Convenor, Muhammed Desai: +27 (0) 842119988 IAW South Africa National Spokesperson, Kwara Kekana: +27 (0) 72 449 1774
ISSUED BY KWARA KEKANA, NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON OF “ISRAELI APARTHEID WEEK SOUTH AFRICA TEAM”
Tel: +27 (0) 72 449 1774
Latest posts by MRN (see all)
- Occupation in Kashmir- A Human Rights Catastrophe - August 14, 2019
- MESSAGE ON THE OCCASION OF EID-UL-ADHA 1440 (12.08.2019) - August 7, 2019
- Wear Black in solidarity with Rohingya. - June 10, 2019